By Amanda Banion
Breeders’ Cup, one of Thoroughbred horseracing’s most prestigious international events, has announced Taste of Breeders’ Cup: San Diego, a unique culinary experience that will take place in the Del Mar racetrack infield during the 2017 Breeders’ Cup World Championships.
The food festival will take place on Friday, November 3 and Saturday, November 4 and will feature a variety of locally-inspired bites from more than twenty different chefs and food vendors.
“Over the past few years, Breeders’ Cup has established itself as an all-encompassing entertainment experience that features the best horse racing in the world,” said Craig Fravel, President and CEO of the Breeders’ Cup. “With 2017 marking the first year that the event will take place at Del Mar, we are especially focused on highlighting all of the culture and character that this special host site has to offer. We look forward to delivering on that commitment by providing our infield guests access to the best of local San Diego cuisine.”
Infield General Admission tickets are available for purchase at BreedersCup.com/Infield and are $35 for Friday and $50 for Saturday. All Breeders’ Cup ticket holders will have access to the infield to experience Taste of Breeders’ Cup: San Diego.
From Tex-Mex and seafood to gourmet salads and sandwiches, Taste of Breeders’ Cup: San Diego will feature a variety of culinary styles that speak to the vibrant Southern California food culture. Each booth will feature its own individual menu with a la carte pricing, details of which will be released closer to the event. The line-up of vendors includes:
· Puesto: A celebration of fundamental Mexican flavors, Puesto’s fresh take on tacos utilizes only the most authentic ingredients, including handmade maiz azul stone-ground tortillas, sustainable meats and seafoods, slow-cooked guisados, and innovative salsas.
· Corazon de Torta Guisados and Grills: One of San Diego’s most sought-after food trucks, Corazon de Torta offers a range of burritos, tacos, and its signature tortas, all of which resonate Mexican Abuelita Style cooking.
· Poseidon Restaurant: A local favorite and coastal landmark, Poseidon is renowned for the restaurant’s creative recipes centered on seafood, meats, produce, and pastas.
· Gringas Tacos and Catering: From grilled marinated chicken to carne asada, this highly-revered catering company has long specialized in producing superior Mexican cuisine for its many loyal customers.
· Aqui es Texcoco: Inspired by the region of Mexico considered to be the birthplace of Lamb Barbecue, known as Barbacoa, Aqui es Texcoco has spent years developing and perfecting the restaurant’s signature technique.
· iSALUD: A hip, casual Mexican eatery offers a menu of award-winning tacos, uniquely crafted cocktails, and a salsa bar.
· TakobarSD: Offering some of the freshest tacos in the city, TakobarSD is one of San Diego’s most popular food trucks amongst locals and visitors alike.
· Big Front Door: A neighborhood deli offering in-house comfort-foods including roasted and smoked meats, sandwiches, salads, soups, cookies, and more.
· Tower 13: A popular beach and sports bar serving an extensive menu including award winning tacos, Unique cocktails, wine and local beers.
During the two-day festival, guests will enjoy picnic style seating throughout the Infield, allowing for a variety of views of the setting that has long been dubbed the place “where the turf meets the surf.” Additionally, there will be a large bar with covered seating featuring a selection of signature cocktails, craft beers, and premium wine offerings.
Video boards for viewing the races and betting windows will ensure that fans do not miss out on any of the event’s world-class horseracing.
For more information on Taste of Breeders’ Cup: San Diego visit BreedersCup.com/Infield.
The Breeders’ Cup administers the Breeders’ Cup World Championships, Thoroughbred racing’s year-end championships. The Breeders’ Cup also administers the Breeders’ Cup Challenge qualifying series, which provides automatic starting positions into the Championships races.
The 2017 Breeders’ Cup World Championships, consisting of 13 Grade I races with purses and awards totaling more than $28 million, will be held November 3-4 at the Del Mar Thoroughbred Club in Del Mar and will be televised live by the NBC Sports Group.
The Breeders’ Cup culminates with the $6 million Breeders’ Cup Classic, which was rated No. 1 in the world in the final 2016 Longines World’s Best Horse Race rankings.