By Jon Wesley Ewell
Every year after the craziness of the annual, no-holds-barred, Black Friday chaos there is something much better – Small Business Saturday.
This is the day when lively consumers can (and should) focus on supporting their local businesses. In reality, every day is for small businesses. Local Umbrella Media’s primary mission is the sup- port of local communities and this includes supporting small businesses whenever we spend money.
We encourage you to start in your local neighborhood and continue throughout your local city and county. Hopefully we will all do this every day of the year, especially during the Holidays.
THERE ARE OTHER THINGS WE CAN ALL DO TO HELP OUR COMMUNITIES AND LOCAL BUSINESSES BESIDES ONLY SHOPPING:
1. Make a commitment to refer other businesses and community services to your friends through word-of- mouth, and on social media.
2. Volunteer. There are many places that can always use volunteers.
3. Give to the needy. This is something else we should strive to do every day and not just when it’s a national holiday. Giving to people or animals in need is one of the best things we can do. Check with your local community for places accepting volunteers or donation.
4. Donate goods. Go through your storage space and “shop” for items that can be donated. Check local neigh- borhood sites like Nextdoor® for people and business owners who help others and accept donated items.
5. Consider local restaurants for dining in and also for delivery. If you don’t plan on cooking a holiday meal check with your favorite local restaurant for delivery or takeout specials. Many of them offer something and you could make a difference in them being able to provide for their families and friends.
As much as we love the ease and convenience of shopping through Amazon and other e-commerce websites, there is almost always a local alternative. Let’s challenge ourselves to search for opportunities to spend locally in our com- munity.