Berkeley student from Del Mar missing in Nice attack

A 20-year-old UC Berkeley student from Del Mar, who has been studying abroad in Nice, France, is missing following Thursday night’s mass-casualty attack in the coastal Mediterranean city, the university reported today.

Nicolas Leslie was seen running away from the chaotic and gruesome scene after a man plowed a rented refrigerator truck through crowds celebrating Bastille Day, killing 84 people and injuring more than 200 others. The driver was then shot dead by police.

A friend of the missing man, John Josi, posted on Facebook that Leslie was not injured in the violence but added, “we have not heard from him since then.”

Leslie is one of 85 students from UC Berkeley attending an international study program in Nice, the university reported. Three of them suffered broken bones in the attack, school officials said.

Leslie, a native of Milan, Italy, is a junior majoring in the UC Berkeley College of Natural Resources, according to the university.

San Diego State University, meanwhile, has accounted for 17 of SDSU’s 24 study-abroad students and four faculty members who are in France and are trying to contact the rest, spokeswoman Katie White told City News Service.

White said SDSU does not have any programs in Nice.

UC San Diego has 27 students in France and all have been accounted for, according to Kelly O’Sullivan Sommer, the study abroad director. None were in Nice.

San Diego’s Thomas Jefferson School of Law reported that roughly 50 students, along with some faculty and staff taking part in an annual summer program with the University of Nice School of Law, were all safe following the attack.

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, an instructor for the program, left Nice on Thursday morning, TJSL spokesman Edgar Hopida said.

The University of San Diego reported it has no students in the affected area, and Cal State San Marcos has no students in France this summer.

French officials have deemed the killings a terror attack, though it was unclear if the perpetrator — identified as 31-year-old Tunisia native and Nice resident Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel — was directed by or affiliated with an organized jihadist group.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here